Saturday, August 7, 2010

Stirfried Bok Choy with Garlic

So I've finally survived my first week of medical school. It was definitely a fun experience for me, but now that the hype has died down, I'm starting to miss California a little. It feels weird not coming out of my room and seeing all the familiar faces of my apartment-mates back in San Diego. Oh well...I'm sure once classes start I'll be too busy to think of anything but hitting the books.

To be honest, I'm a little nervous about the first week (and the first quiz), but that's vastly overshadowed by my excitement. It's been 4 months since I last studied, and my entire senior year was tampered by my senioritis-ridden lack of discipline. It would be nice to once again occupy myself with the stress and pain of studying (I can't believe I'm saying that).

AND! I finally got a real bed :) It feels nice to sleep on something more stable than an air mattress. 

Anyway, there is one thing that I can bring here from the old days: cooking! I'm going to try to do some massive mega-cooking every weekend from now on and live on it throughout the weekdays. It's actually a good and efficient time-saver. I bought a huge pack of baby bok choy the other day in a Vietnamese market I discovered, so I decided to cook off the entire thing this morning before going out to run (which felt VERY good actually). It's really simple, but the picture came out pretty nice, so I thought I'd post it.

Stir-fried Bok Choy with Garlic

Ingredients:

-1 bag baby bok choy
-~2 tbsp oyster sauce
-4-5 cloves garlic, minced
-Mushroom seasoning and/or chicken powder to taste

1. Give the bok choy a quick rinse. Cut off the ends of each bunch and make sure all the leaves are separated (there will be lots of gunk hidden inside).
2. Submerge the leaves in a big bowl of water, then drain in a colander. Repeat 3 times, then allow to sit and drain in the colander (try to make it as dry as possible).
3. Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add oil and garlic and cook until fragrant (~1 minute).
4. Pour all the bok choy leaves into the wok. The water you didn't get rid of will make the wok sizzle and pop.
5. Start stirring the vegetables until they wilt.
6. Add the oyster sauce and stir.
7. Add seasoning to taste.
8. Allow to simmer about 4-5 minutes, then serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails