Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Beef Chow Mein


Today, I realized that I was out of food...but I was really too lazy to go out and shop. So I looked into the fridge and found....Napa Cabbage! The universal savior of the kitchen. And in the pantry...Egg noodles! Actually, it's some package my mom gave me...I don't even know if there is an English name on it...but if you're interested, look for the package design. It also comes with a sauce (different flavors for each package). The one I chose was "Sichuan Spicy Hot" flavor.

As for the rest...I just used one of Moonjung's supersized mutant Korean carrots (don't ever introduce an anti-GMO activist to Zion Market...they'll go nuts at the produce section) and added a bit of oyster sauce. And voila! Dinner is served.


Chow Mein


Ingredients:


-Egg Noodles

-Sliced Napa Cabbage (~2 cups)

-1 big carrot, cut in strips

-4 dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and sliced (I forgot to add this)

-Beef, cut into strips

-3 cloves garlic, diced

-1 packet Sichuan Spicy Hot Flavoring

-2 tbsp oyster sauce (or more)

-2 green onions, diced


1. Boil the egg noodles in water for about 1.5 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.

2. Wash the cabbage and dry THOROUGHLY.

3. On high heat, add garlic and fry until they are aromatic.

4. Add the beef and mushrooms and stir-fry for about 1 minute.

5. Add the cabbage and carrots, stir-frying for about 2-3 minutes.

6. Add the oyster sauce, mushroom water, and flavoring and mix thoroughly.

7. Add the egg noodles and stir-fry for about another minute or two (but no longer!)

8. Turn off the heat and mix in the green onions.


On a side note...the flavoring is good, but a little bit too oily for me. When I took it out of the fridge the next day, I could see some of the fat coagulating on the noodle. But then, I'm sure most people would consider that normal...I admit I'm little bit over-zealous when it comes to health (it drives Gordon crazy). But it was yummy nonetheless...one of the side effects of being unhealthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails