Thursday, March 25, 2010

Vietnamese Bun or Korean Bimbimbap?

I have about 3 more days until I board the plane for China. My dad wants to go out for Pho tomorrow, and we're spending Saturday in SF using accumulated travel points to stay at the hotel so we can catch our 6am flight on Sunday. So I figured we ought to have a fairly light meal so that if there were any leftovers my dad would be able to finish them off during his midnight cravings (instead of the ice cream he always tries to sneak past me).

Anyway, we had leftover mifun and cucumbers and beansprouts...so I figured I could pull together a Vietnamese bun. However, when we got to the market, my dad thought it wouldn't be practical to buy basil or mint, seeing as they were packaged in big bunches at we obviously could not finish in one night. So it ended up as more of a bimbimbap...with rice noodles? I don't even know what I was making near the end. Either way, it was pretty good.

Bun/Bimbimbap

Ingredients

1.25 pounds thinly sliced shabu shabu ribeye beef, marinaded 2 hours or more (see below)
1/4 cup beansprouts
1 medium cucumber, sliced into matchsticks
1 carrot, sliced into matchsticks
2 green onions (green parts only), diced
1 head lettuce, cut into strips
1 recipe Vietnamese nuoc cham dipping sauce (see below)
Korean gochujang sauce (or any chili paste on hand; I used Thai nam prik pao)
2-4 servings mifun (rice stick noodles)

1. Cook the mifun as directed on package
2. Sear the beef over high heat for NO MORE than 1 minute on each side!
3. In two separate bowls, distribute the mifun and layer the other ingredients on top.
4. You can add a fried egg on top, if you like.
5. Serve with nuoc cham and gochujang on the side.

Marinade
(from VietWorldKitchen's Shaking Beef)

1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon regular (light) soy sauce, or 2 teaspoons regular (light) and 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce

Nuoc Cham Dipping Sauce (from VietWorldKitchen)

3 tablespoons lime juice (1 fat, thin skin lime)
2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup water
2 ½ tablespoons fish sauce

1. Combine ingredients, stir, and serve! You can also add some chili paste or minced garlic for flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails