Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Ice Cream!

So what with it being summer and all, I decided to try my hand at what everyone associates as the ultimate symbol OF summer - ice cream! Okay, I actually have a secret to admit, one which is highly frowned upon by society: I actually am not too fond of ice cream.

SAY WHAT?!

Yes, I know, it's blasphemous, but seriously...I am the ultimate carb fiend, and ice cream is pretty much centered on protein and fat. In fact, whereas most people find ice cream as an indulgence, I find it as almost a necessary evil (though, of course, there are far worse evils out there) because it gives me the dairy (and thus calcium) that is most absent in my fruit-and-grain-dominated diet. What can I say? I'm a little weird.

But, of course, there are many people who do enjoy ice cream (especially Dad), so I still have an excuse to piss off Mom and save a portion of the freezer for my icy concoctions. I do actually have an ice cream maker, but it is huge and rather clunky, so I tried making it by hand. Gordon tried a bit and didn't seem too impressed - he mentioned that the ice crystals were too big, but then again, it is handmade ice cream. Anyway, unless you're as picky as Gordon (hmph!), you'll find this a fun and refreshing treat to cool off the heat of summer.

I'm actually going to dedicate my next 2 posts to some specific flavors that I made, but in total I made 4: mango, strawberry (from my own backyard!), coconut, and peanut butter. I have a little bit of cream left over...what flavor should I make next?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails