Monday, August 15, 2011

Cashew Chicken Stirfry

So I actually made this quite a while ago, but I've been putting it off until now. I know, I'm terrible, but I've been distracted with other things, and I've spent a good amount of time fixing up my blog ever since the disastrous loss of 80% of my pictures. 

This picture came out quite a bit differently from my past photographs. To be honest, it was simply because I took the picture late in the day and indoors, which cast a lot of shadow on the dish. I had to prop the bowl up from behind to get the contents to catch what little light managed to find its way in, and then further lighten the image up via Picasa. But now that I look at it, I like how the shadows play with the contents; it gives each individual piece of chicken some depth and character. Chances are that Tastespotting and Foodgawker won't accept it, but that's okay. This photo was an experiment to prepare me for the winter months, when going out to take photos may not be as practical or possible.

Chicken Cashew Stirfry (adapted from Rasa Malaysia)

 Ingredients:

(A)
-1 boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized pieces
-1/2 cup cashews, roasted
-1 zucchini, cut into bite-sized pieces
-1 knob ginger, cut into slices
-1/4 cup onion, diced

(B)
-1 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp cornstarch
-1/2 tsp rice wine

(C)
-1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
-3/4 tsp soy sauce
-3 tbsp water
-3 dashes white pepper
-1/2 tsp sugar
-1/2 tsp rice wine
-Salt to taste

1. Marinate the chicken pieces in (B). Wash off thoroughly after about 15-20 minutes. Pat the chicken dry. 
2. Mix together (C). 
3. In a wok or pan, stirfry the chicken until they are semi-done. Remove from heat. 
4. Stirfry together the onions, zucchini, and ginger until aromatic. Then add back in the chicken. 
5. Add in the cashews. 
6. Pour in the sauce and stir continuously until the chicken is cooked. Add salt to taste. 
7. Garnish with scallions and serve hot with rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails