Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pineapple Curry Fried Rice

So it's been a while since my last post - I know, I am entirely to blame. I've been distracted lately with many trivial things, namely just enjoying the remainder of summer before school starts. I know I am going to miss this short period; it is truly a great feeling to be so free of duties or obligations, although I can see how it can eventually get boring.

That's another thing to think about - the upcoming school year. So far, all I've heard about second year are scary stories - how much harder it is than first year (which, as I recall, was already pretty strenuous). This year I want to succeed - but what does success mean? It's not about honoring every class, or getting top ranks in every test. That would definitely be nice, and at one point in my life, I would have definitely measured my success by my grade point average. No - I've come to realize that success means so much more than a few marks on the transcript. It's about balance. Balancing ALL the important aspects of your life, not just any one thing alone. Last year, there was a point when I dropped everything and let my grades take over my entire life. I eventually came out of that period, but I never want to go back to it again.

But I have faith and hope in the upcoming year. It'll be good, I think.



Anyway, a few weeks ago, my friend from Hosaigai, who features his own blog, was kind enough to come over with a recipe in hand and work with me into whipping up an awesome masterpiece - Pineapple Curry Fried Rice! We actually got the idea from Saltbird.com, a blog he discovered online. The curry and chili powder gives it an interesting flavor and kick, which is pleasantly balanced by the sweetness of the pineapple. And I think the cashews definitely gave it a richness that would have otherwise been lacking in a very healthy dish. In short, it was absolutely addicting - and that's coming from someone who is normally not fond of rice. We made a few changes to it, namely the addition of egg, which I thought made a huge difference. You can't have fried rice without egg! It just wouldn't be the same...





Pineapple Curry Fried Rice

Ingredients:


2.5 cups cooked brown or multigrain rice (cooked and left uncovered to dry overnight)
1 cup cashews, roasted
1/4 cup dried cranberries
4 oz seitan or tofu chopped
4 green onions
1 yellow onion, diced
1 cup pineapple, bite-sized chunks
2-3 eggs, beaten
¼ cup pineapple juice
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T brown sugar
juice of 1 lemon
3 T soy sauce
2 tsp grated ginger
¼ tsp salt
½ small Serrano chili seeded or ½ tsp red pepper flakes
1-2 tsp curry powder (mild with lighter body is preferable)
1/4 cup packed cilantro, chopped
1. In a bowl, mix together the pineapple juice, soy sauce, lemon juice, and salt.
2. Saute the tofu or seitan until browned, then remove and saute the onions separately.
3. Add in the sesame oil, curry powder, chili powder, garlic, ginger, and green onion and stirfry until fragrant.
4. Pour in the sauce mixture, then add the rice, cashews, cranberries, pineapples, and tofu.
5. Stir for about 8 minutes, until heated through.
6. Quickly pour in the egg, distributing it evenly throughout the rice and stirring constantly until it is no longer runny.
6. Top with cilantro and serve with Sriracha on the side!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails