Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tangzhong Loaf with Green Tea Custard

Okay, seriously, I surrender. I'll admit it: I'm bored. I need to go back to school, even if it means the hell of finals and stress and week-long, exercise-deprived library visits.  It's horrible! And the worst thing is that we've sort of hit a heat wave here in NorCal, and even I'm not bored or crazy enough to go running in this heat. Plus, Dad is still in Vegas for his convention, so I don't have anyone to cook for (Mom won't eat my food, unless it's to humor me)! So I'm here stuck at home, doing some occasional cooking for no one, and occasionally watching some of Mom's korean dramas (ugh, what have I resorted to!).

The other day I tried making more Tangzhong Starter because Mom has this thing against crusty breads (she says it makes her teeth feel like they're going to fall out), and Tangzhong is supposed to yield a softer crumb. I found a recipe on Do What I Like for a soft bread loaf and thought it would be fun to make some buns with them. Since I had leftover frozen matcha custard filling from my dorayaki pancakes, I decided to fill them up with it. However, I read somewhere (I lost the link) that you can also fill it with pork floss or Rou Song, so I've posted the recipe below. However, in general, this bread is very versatile and can be filled with anything from red bean paste to hot dogs or curry.

Tangzhong Loaf with Green Tea Custard

Ingredients:

-4.4oz bread flour
-1/2 tbsp skim milk powder
-1.4 oz TangZhong
-0.22 cups warm water
-0.07oz salt
-0.44oz sugar
-3/4 tsp dry yeast
-0.44oz butter
-Green tea custard filling

1. Combine all ingredients except the custard filling and mix.
2. Knead until the dough is smooth and springy, then wrap with saran wrap and leave in a warm place (we put it on the lid of our water boiler). Let rise until doubled in volume.
3.Divide dough into balls, flatten, then fill with about 1.5 tsp custard filling.
4. Envelop the filling with the dough, then seal the ends with a bit of water. Place the ends on the bottoms of a brioche or cupcake pan.
5.Brush with beaten egg yolk, top with sesame seeds, and bake at 400F until golden brown.

Pork Floss Filling:

4.2 oz pork floss
1.7 oz Mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. condense milk or sugar
1.7 oz soft butter

1. Combine!

    1 comment:

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails